HISTORY OF BATAAN
The mention of Bataan rings a memorable chord in the heart of every Filipino. It is today a symbol of democracy and freedom having been the last fortress of Filipino-American soldiers against the Japanese forces until it felt captive on April 09, 1942.
Obscure and relatively unknown before World War II, Bataan was founded in 1754 by Governor General Pedro Manuel Arandia. Before this the region was divided into two parts, The Corregimiento of Mariveles composed of Bagac, Morong and Maragondon, Cavite which was under the jurisdiction of the Recollect Order of the Roman Catholic Church while The Province of Pampanga included the towns of Orion, Pilar, City of Balanga, Abucay, Samal, Orani, Llana Hermosa and San Juan de Dinalupihan was under the charge of the Dominican Order.
For now, Bataan is divided politically into two (2) districts, District 1 and 2, composed of 11 municipalities and 1 city namely Dinalupihan, Hermosa, Orani, Samal, Abucay, Morong (District 1) and Pilar, Orion, Limay, Bagac, Mariveles and the City of Balanga which is the capital of Bataan.
SHRINE OF VALOR (DAMBANA NG KAGITINGAN)
POPULARLY KNOWN AS MT. SAMAT
LOCATION: MT. SAMAT IN DIWA, PILAR
The "DAMBANA NG KAGITINGAN", as completed and inaugurated in 1970, consists of the Colonnade and the huge memorial cross.
The Memorial Cross is a towering structure of steel and reinforced concrete with an elevator and viewing gallery (arms of the cross).
The exterior finish of the cross at the base up to an 11-meter level is capped with "NABIAG NGA BATO" sculptural slabs and sculptural bas-reliefs depicting significant battles and historical events.
The monument also immortalizes the agony of Filipino and American soldiers in their struggle for freedom and independence against the Japanese forces during World War II.
FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE MARKER
LOCATION: ROTUNDA, LAYAC IN DINALUPIHAN
It marks the first strong line of defense commbined Philippines USAFFE Troops against Japanese invasion during World War II.
This monument in the center of Rotunda in Layac is symbolic of the tragedy that befell Bataan and the gallantry of Filipino and American Heroes who restored our country and people to a government of free nation.
DIWA NG BATAAN
(FORMER SURRENDER SITE MARKER)
It is a life sized monument built as a marker where Major General Edward P. King signed the tragic instrument of surrender under a mango tree at the back of the Balanga Elementary School on April 9, 1942.
ZERO KILOMETER DEATH MARCH MARKER
LOCATION: POBLACION IN MARIVELES
Marked the start of the "March of Death" or " Death March" of the American and Filipino Soldiers in 1942, going to Camp O' Donnell in Capas,Tarlac.
ZERO KILOMETER DEATH MARCH MARKER
LOCATION: BAGUMBAYAN IN BAGAC
This is another site to mark the start of the death march. Unveiled in 1968, it has the same structure as that in Mariveles where in a bayonet was thrust to the ground with a soldier's helmet symbolically slung over the riffle butt.
LOCATION: PANILAO, PILAR
It is a symbol of the Filipino courage and gallantry in the face of external trails to the nation's democracy and peace.
PHILIPPINE-JAPANESE FRIENDSHIP TOWER
LOCATION: ATILANO RICARDO, BAGAC
This tower symbolizes the fact that after the war, there is a period of reconcillation, peace and friendship.
BATAAN TOURISM CENTER
LOCATION: ROMAN HIGHWAY, CITY OF BALANGA
(BESIDE BATAAN NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL POPULARLY KNOWN AS ARELLANO HIGH SCHOOL)
BATAAN WORLD WAR II DIORAMA
It was constructed through the efforts during the term of Gov. Enrique T. Garcia Jr., Congressman Albert S. Garcia, Bataan Tourism Council Foundation Inc. and the Philippine Tourism Authority.
The Bataan Tourism Center houses the Provincial Tourism Office, Exhibit Hall, Audio Visual Room and Pasalubong Center showcasing the finest products, souvenirs, handicrafts and delicacies.
BATAAN TOURISM OFFICE
TEL: (047) 237-4785/ 237-4476
EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
WEBSITE: bataan.gov.ph / 1bataan.com
BCDA MANAGEMENT HOLDINGS INC.
(FORMER BATAAN TECHNOLOGY PARK INC.)
LOCATION: SABANG, MORONG
The BCDA MANAGEMENT HOLDINGS INC. is a 365 hectares of land along the rolling hills of the Morong Special Economic Zone.
This is also the former site of the United Nations Philippine Refugee Processing Center and overlooking the South China Sea.
BMHI became home to refugees coming from Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia before they found their place in USA, Australia, Europe and etc.
CONTACT PERSON: MS. DAISY FERNANDO
CELL PHONE NO: (0939) 887-3585
PAWIKAN CONSERVATION CENTER
It is a site of a community-based Pawikan Conservation Program devoted to the preservation and propagation of endangered marine turtles aptly called Olive Ridley.
Manned by former poachers and turtle egg collectors who turned into conservation advocates, the program's mission is to secure the eggs laid during the nesting season between September and January.
CONTACT PERSON: MR. MANOLO IBIAS
CELL PHONE NO: (0921) 630-2842
CITY OF BALANGA WETLAND AND NATURE PARK
LOCATION:BRGY, TORTUGAS IN THE CITY OF BALANGA
It is conceived as a natural outdoor museum, showcasing the magnificence of a well-diversified bionetwork.
It was significantly recognized by the Deparment of Tourism as one of the newest birdwatching sites in the Philippines indicated by influx of rare endemic and migratory birds.The site is not only an alley but haven for these creatures...
Officially launched on December 10, 2010 and reinforced by the initial celebration of the City's very own local bird festival (Ibong Dayo Festival), the City of Balanga Wetland ad Nature Park was endeavoured to foster profound concern and appreciation of the environment.
CITY OF BALANGA TOURISM OFFICE
TEL: (047) 791-4008
FAX NO. (047) 237-2969
EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
SIBUL NATURE RESORT
GABON-HACIENDA ROAD, ABUCAY
It is a tourist haven with sulfuric swimming pool and has a wide area for outdoor recreaction. Its main attraction if the Sibul Spring believed to have a therapeutic benefit to relieve muscle pain.
EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
MT. SAMAT ZIPLINE
LOCATION: DIWA, PILAR
The longest zipline in Central Luzon at 540 meters.
FEE: Php 430.00
ENTRANCE FEE, GEAR, HARNESS, BRIEFING AND A ZIPLINE RIDE
ROUND TRIP SHUTTLE SERVICE
ENTRANCE TO DUNSULAN PARK
TREE HOPPING ADVENTURE
Be high with nature for only Php 300.00
Free entrance to Dunsulan Park, Briefing, Gear, Harness and the six-stage Tree Hopping Adventure.
(047) 237-2768 LOCAL 101/104
EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOCATION: BRGY. BINARITAN, MORONG
It is located in one of the two upper tributaries of Kairukan River, it drains the northwest plank of Mt. Silangan. The 150 feet falls descends into a deep plunge pool about 30 feet in diameter.
LOCATION: BRGY LIYANG, PILAR
It is approximately five (5) meters in height with a deep plunge pool. It is ideal for swimming and camping.
LOCATION: BRGY BINUKAWAN, BAGAC
It takes an approximately 45-minute ride on a mountain buggy to traverse the seven-kilometer distance from the National Highway and then a 45 minute walk on moderate to steep terrain to reach the falls.
It is one of the natural wonders of Limay located at the heart of Mount Cayapo in Upper Tundol.
VILLA CARMEN FALLS
MORE TO DISCOVER...
PILGRIMAGE OF FAITH:
SAINT JOSEPH CATHEDRAL
LOCATION: POBLACION, CITY OF BALANGA
Balanga used to be a visita (chapel) of Abucay, where the early Dominicans (of the Holy Rosary Province) first set up their mission. On April 21, 1714, the Province established Balanga as mission territory and on April 18, 1839 declared it a vicariate with SAINT JOSEPH as the patron saint.
SAINT PETER OF VERONA
LOCATION: BRGY. BURGOS, HERMOSA TOWN PROPER
The name of the sixth town established and evangelized by Spanish Dominicans on May 8, 1756 was originally derived from Spanish description of a beautiful white flower, LLANA HERMOSA.
OUR LADY OF THE MOST HOLY ROSARY CHURCH
The Spanish Dominicans established Orani as a missionary center in 1714 because from 1641 Orani was just a part of Samal. The friars built the Orani church with adobe and bricks but the earthquake of September 16,1852 reduced it to the ground. The resilient flock and friars rebuilt it in 1891. Through the years the church in Orani proved to be strong, surpassing the test of time and surviving the storms of life because Orani stands faithful with the maternal guidance and intercession of their “mother”, who is devotedly and reverently invoked as VIRGEN MILAGROSA DEL ROSARIO DEL PUEBLO DE ORANI.
SAINT CATHERINE OF SIENNA CHURCH
Samal became the second town in Bataan founded by Spanish Dominican missionaries, as declared in the Provincial Chapter of 1596 and was declared a vicariate on April 20, 1641. The Dominicans entrusted the place to the patronage of SAINT CATHERINE OF SIENNA.
SAINT DOMINIC DE GUZMAN CHURCH
It was customary for the Dominican missionaries to name their first convent in any area in honor of SAINT DOMINIC DE GUZMAN, the founder of the Order of Preachers. The First Provincial Chapter of September 1587 named and accepted their first missionary field as SANTO DOMINGO DE ABUCAY IN BATAAN. It was designated by the First Manila Bishop Domingo de Salazar, OP and by the Holy Rosary Province on the same day, month and year as the Santo Domingo Convent of Manila.
OUR LADY OF THE PILLAR CHURCH
A violent storm led the Spaniards to the discovery of this unnamed place. During that life threatening natural turmoil, the Spaniards witnessed the courage and faith of the natives. Inspired thus, the Spanish soldiers turned to Our Lady in the midst of that destructive typhoon and implored her maternal protection and guidance. After they experienced her loving intercession, they dedicated that place to and named it after her: OUR LADY OF THE PILLAR, later on known as Pilar.
SAINT MICHAEL DE ARCHANGEL
Founded and developed by the Portuguese Dominican friar Domingo Perez, OP, it was at first situated along the Santo Domingo River. The chapel and convent were made of wood. With the increase of population and fervor in Christian faith, Orion was declared independent from Abucay and was raised to a vicariate. In 1667 Orion was dedicated to the patronage of SAINT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL.
CELEBRATION OF BATAAN DAY
ARAW NG KAGITINGAN ( DAY OF VALOR ) also known as BATAAN DAY
It is a NATIONAL OBSERVANCE every April 09 in the country which commemorates the Fall of Bataan during World War II.
PROVINCE WIDE ACTIVITIES
PADYAKAN SA BATAAN
GALING BATAAN TRADE FAIR
PARADE OF FLOATS
PARANGAL SA MGA BAYANI
BATAAN FREEDOM RUN
DRUM AND LYRE COMPETITION
TAGISAN DIWANG BATAAN
SENIOR CITIZENS' CHORALE PRESENTATION
ARAW NG KAGITINGAN
SHRINE OF VALOR
RE-ENACMENT OF THE BATTLE OF ABUCAY
LOCATION: PAWIKAN CONSERVATION CENTER, NAGBALAYONG, MORONG
WALK FOR A CAUSE
MORNING EXERCISE LED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
RELEASING OF PAWIKAN HATCHLINGS
SAND SCULPTURE COMPETITION
PADDLE PAINTING COMPETITION
POSTER MAKING CONTEST
FRUIT CARVING EXHIBITION BY PWU
STREET DANCING COMPETITION
CITY OF BALANGA
CHAMPION, PAWIKAN FESTIVAL 2013
Awarded as one of the best tourism events by ATOP and DOT in the reclassified Eco-Environmental Tourism Category (Provincial Level). It is celebrated on the last week of November at the Pawikan Conservation Center headed by the Provincial Government of Bataan thru the Provincial Tourism Office with the help of Bataan Tourism Council Foundation Inc., Morong LGU and the Bantay Pawikan Inc.
IBONG DAYO FESTIVAL
LOCATION: CITY OF BALANGA WETLAND AND NATURE PARK
It is awarded First Runner up in the 8th Pearl Award Best Tourism Practices of the Philippines under the category Best Festival (City Level).
ABU KINAYKAY FESTIVAL
LOCATION: TOWN PROPER, ABUCAY
LOCATION: TOWN PROPER, ORANI
LIST OF FESTIVALS
*Dates of festivals are subject to change upon discretion of local government units
GALING BATAAN PRODUCTS:
TAMARIND BALLS, POLVORON, CASHEW NUTS
AMANDA'S MARINE PRODUCTS
TINAPA. ALIMANGO. HIPON. MANGGA. BUKO